OK, maybe not 72 hrs, but hey, who thought we could do 60,000 records in a day?
- Build a database of shelters by calling on volunteers to record the location of every shelter in America (validate the addresses with USPS so you don't get duplicates).
- Allow volunteers to "claim" shelters. Once a shelter is claimed, they are comitting to putting together an excel spreadsheet with a PFIF record for each person in the Shelter. Probably have to prequalify people and offer them a little training.
- Volunteer uploads their excel sheet on the web (software can make sure its in the right format).
- Another volunteer or maybe staff checks to see if the data looks accurate and in the appropriate format.
- The excel sheet of PFIF records is uploaded into the database.
- Those results are immediately avaliable at Katrinalist.net and syndicated to any other database on the web.